Fall Prep: Check These Off The List
Fall is here! Aside from picking pumpkins, football and hay rides, it's also time to turn your attention to preparing your home for winter. The weather is perfect for it right now, with days ranging from temperate to cool. In New England, when winter comes, it's stays for awhile. Protect your house and your wallet by maintaining your home properly. In this edition of the KHI blog, we will focus on the exterior prep.
- Clear gutters, vents, downspouts and storm drains from debris that has fallen, such as leaves and sticks. If you do so earlier in the season, check again before snow falls.
- Drain and store hoses and sprinklers.
- Inspect wood surfaces for damage or peeling paint. Such surfaces include door and window frames. Paint or replace as needed.
- Seal windows and doors by caulking or replacing weather strips to keep the cold out and the heat in. Make sure all the screen and windows are intact, without cracks.
- When storing gas-powered equipment such as lawn mowers and weed whackers, run them until the fuel lines and tanks are empty.
- Clear out leaves from your lawn and prune plants and shrubs.
- Prep your lawn for the spring by aerating and fertilizer the grass.