Blogs from September 2014
Here are some tips to keep in mind as we approach the heating season:
- Close the damper in the flue when the fireplace isn't being used.
- Keep fireplace enclosed with a metal screen and the surrounding area free of flammable materials.
- Use glass doors properly: leave them open while fire is burning and closed once the fire is out.
- Burn seasoned firewood only: damp wood encourages buildup, while paper, cardboard, etc., presents a danger.
- Make sure each floor of your home has a functioning smoke detector.
- Protect your home's exterior by keeping wood stacked away from the siding and the roof free of debris.
- Never leave a fire unattended.